Friday, July 10, 2015

What It's Like

When I became a mother at 19, I never thought I would become a single mother.
If you would've told me I'd be where I am today 6 years ago, I'd probably laugh in your face and call you crazy. When you think you have everything planned out in your head the way your life is going to go, God has a way of changing things up for the better and all you can do it trust Him and go with it.
I was a stay at home mom for almost two years of Kendrix's life. When I started working again it became one of the hardest things for me to do but every day when I get off work his reaction to me coming home, keeps me going. I know I'm doing what's best for both of us and it's reassuring to know he knows that.
I became a single mother a year and a half ago. The struggles that have come with it have been nothing short of crazy. I work full time and on top of that I raise my wonderful son. Raising a toddler on your own is not easy. I think my favorite thing is to see the crazy come backs he has to say to anything I say. You know, the ones where he knows it's going to get under your skin. My patience has never been so tested in my entire life. All I can do is pray to have the patience I need and boy does it help.
Being a single mother is probably one of the best things that has ever happened to me. Only because it has changed me in ways unexplainable to anyone. I love so much deeper. I laugh a little bit harder. I trust more than ever. I've become closer to God and saved so many friendships. After becoming single, I knew Kendrix needed me now more than ever. It became him and me against the world.
Encouragement, patience, love, compassion are all things little boys need from their moms. I'm not trying to raise my son into a mommas boy but someday he will look back at all the things I did to take care of him or the way I react to things. Someday, I will be the one he compares his future wife to. The only thing I can do is be the best role model for him that I can possibly be. Some of the best actors were raised by a single mom.
Raising a little boy has to be the best thing for me. I mean look at all the fun stuff we get to experience?! We get to play in mud, watch tons of sports, play with cars, and watch movies with a hole bunch of action in it! It can be the most trying thing in the world. The way Kendrix knows exactly what will push my buttons is beyond me but he sure knows how. He knows how to make me laugh and cry by some of the sweetest things he says. Being his mother has been the biggest blessing in my life.
I feel like being a single mom is frowned upon now a days. Do you really think all single moms purposely chose this life? NO! Responsibility sometimes is too much for the other half and that's the end of it. We can't control what another person does or feel but we make the best of the situation and roll with it. All we can do is raise our children to the best we possibly can without the other parties help. I try my best every day to make Kendrix proud and raise him in the direction he should go. A HUGE help for me would have to be my faith and my family. God has helped me through every step in raising Kendrix. The power of prayer is amazing and attending church helps Kendrix learn in more ways than just one. My family and friends help keep me going and push me to do better and I could never thank them enough for all they do.
 
Keep pushing no matter what comes your way when raising a little one on your own. It may not be easy, but it's certainly worth it.  
 
Much Love
~K
 
 
 
 
There is an enduring tenderness in the love of a mother to a son that transcends all other affections of the heart - Washington Irving


0 comments:

Post a Comment